Sunday, June 24, 2007

Curiosity (almost) killed the cat

Oh the weekend we had. Picture this.... It's Saturday night at 6:00pm. My parents had just picked up Owen to take him for - wait for it - THE ENTIRE NIGHT!! Dan and I were free, free, free for 12 hours. We had big plans. Friends were coming over at 7:00pm to cook out, followed by some light bar hopping and then back to our house for a nightcap or two. Sounds like a fun filled evening correct?! Our cat Lilly had other plans for us. Around 6:15 I hear glass shattering in the dining room. I run out of the bathroom and see my huband holding our bleeding cat in his arms. Apparently Lilly managed to get her head caught in the base of our hurricane candle holder on our dining room table. She fell off the table, shattering the glass. Her head was still caught in the base so she was frantically trying to get her head out and proceeded to cut herself on the broken glass. I see her and completely freak out. I didn't realize how useless I am in a crisis until this happened. I'm trying to tye a towel as a tournaquet around a her. Yeah! That worked out really well for me! A bath towel doesn't quite get the pressure need to stop the bleeding on a 5 lb. cat's leg. Brilliant plan! We rushed her to the animal hospital and spent part of our "big night out" in a waiting room. Turns out she's fine. She has a laceration on her abdomen and on 2 of her paws, but nothing too serious. I'll tell you what is serious though - the 500 bucks that fun little adventure cost us! The animal hospital shows all owners estimates of care before they treat their pets. My husband looked at the bill, looked at me and then told he vet "A bullet only costs a dollar". He was kidding of course (kinda). We were able to go out and enjoy our night. We just left Lilly overnight at the vet! This is Owen and I on Sat morning. He was trying to help me clean. He didn't actually help to much however. He distracted me with his cuteness! This is Owen in the Bumbo his grandma bought him. His Grandma Merciez totally spoils him! There was no way I was paying $40 for a rubber chair that looks like a toilet without a hole. I do have to admit however, he does enjoy it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG! I am glad the cat is okay!!
Owen is adorable in his Bumbo!! Very Cute!!